Monday, August 6, 2012

Day 1

So I've decided to start this blog to share my 30 day challenge to quite smoking and stop drinking (my two unhealthiest vices) and to achieve an overall feeling of well being and fitness. It's been awhile since I have felt an overall peace within myself and where or when I lost it I'm not sure, or maybe it was never there, I don't know but I find myself more than ever wanting to feel good, wanting to be good to my body, put healthy things into my body and connect my mind and body.  Last Friday we had a guest speaker come to our class to talk about Bikram yoga, I didn't know much about it just that the room is heated to 105 degrees with 50% humidity and there are 26 poses that you do in 90 minutes. Honestly didn't really sound like a good time to me as I was never really into yoga I felt like it was too slow and I found myself getting bored and not feeling like I was really working or getting a good workout in.   (Side note, I recently attended a vinyasa yoga class that I really enjoyed.) When  Dave the guest speaker started talking about the benefits of Bikram yoga I was sold instantly, he had told his story of how he got started in Bikram yoga and how it changed his whole lifestyle.  He spoke about how anyone can do it some people start and do it everyday or some people go a few times a week you can be overweight, old, young, healthy, or unhealthy. ANYONE can do it he said. He had said he was a smoker and the breathing technique (pranayama) helped his lungs recover to a healthier state. He challenged himself to go to a Bikram yoga class everyday for 60 days in a row. Thus where I got my 30 day challenge , I can't exactly explain why I chose this type of yoga as today was the first day I have ever tired it (really enjoyed it btw) but as soon as he said anyone can do it and spoke of the benefits I committed to myself to try it for 30 days, I was ecstatic the rest of the day I couldn't wait for today to start my new adventure in yoga and purging my life of my two unhealthiest vices.  The class was intense in a ways can't explain, I got through the entire class and felt great! I'm eager to start seeing and feeling the benefits of taking on this challenge.  And this might sound weird but I am even more eager to see what challenges I encounter taking on this challenge and how I will overcome them and come out on top. Until tomorrow.......

2 comments:

  1. Roxy, I did Bikrams Yoga and the benefit it gave me was peace and balance with body and mind. Yes, I lost weight and felt so strong and loved my physical body but I also felt so strong in presence with my mind. Good luck and keep posting! Smile and sweat and you'll be fine...in everything!
    Mike Moore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Mike I am looking forward to the peace of mind for sure!

      Delete